About Us: the Magdalene Musical takes place once a year in Lent term. MMPS is the society that makes the magic happen!
The Magdalene Musical Production Society was founded in 2001, when Hall was transformed into the Biblical desert setting of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Since then, MMPS has gone from strength to strength, with 'Godspell' and 'Guys and Dolls' among recent highlights. The musical is staged in Magdalene's Cripps Auditorium.
We have garnered an excellent reputation for putting on a noteworthy theatrical production: previous shows include 'Godspell' (2016 - 4* from Varsity and The Tab), 'Guys and Dolls' (2015 - 4* from Varsity), 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' (2014 - 4* from Varsity, 8/10 TCS), 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying' (2013 - 4* from Varsity and The Tab), 'Little Shop of Horrors' (2012 - 4* from Varsity, 5/5 from TCS), and 'Cabaret' (2011 - 5* from Varsity).
When we meet: we hold a meeting around week 4 or 5 of Michaelmas term to discuss the annual Lent term musical. This meeting is open to all, including those who are not yet sure whether or not they would like to be involved with MMPS. After the initial meeting further meetings will be organised as and when required.
Costs: MMPS does not charge a membership fee or involve any additional costs.
How to Get in Touch: find us on our Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/magdalenemusical/
In Recent News: 5 reasons to get involved with MMPS this year:
- Auditions are open to everyone, so taking part in a production is a great way to meet people from different colleges as well as people from your own college whom you wouldn’t otherwise see.
- MMPS is about having fun – ideal for people who want an enjoyable diversion from work which isn’t overly pressurised or time-consuming.
- You don’t have to act, sing or even dance. Every show needs sound and lighting technicians and backstage helpers, as well as publicity and costume designers, producers, directors, choreographers and musicians.
- Enthusiasm counts for more than experience. An MMPS production is a good opportunity to learn how to rig lights, run a rehearsal or stage manage, so that you’re in a good position to apply for shows across Cambridge.
- If there is a show you have always wanted to be part of, this is your chance. MMPS hold a meeting in Michaelmas term to discuss what the annual musical will be. Anyone can put forward a show and/or apply to direct, choreograph or produce it!