

First JCR Meeting Minutes

Present: Adam Uddin (AU), Natalya Khan (NK), Namha Adukia (NA), Chloe Jones (CJ), Angus Satow (AS), Ellen Garry (EG), Bella Peters (BP), Harry Gower (HG), Chris Bennett (CB), James Antell (JA)

1) Brief from outgoing JCR President Harry Gower

HG: Well done on getting your roles, everyone on the Committee relies on everyone else, so help each other out. There are two main roles: organising events and sustaining areas of college life that already exist, and then trying to make changes and improve quality of life. The 1st is more important, as there must be consistency. We must also remind the college that the students are most important, and we ought to speak to President or Vice President if we need help.

5) Each member of the Committee discusses specific plans for the year ahead

AU: I want to set up a welfare committee, this could be a structural and not a constitutional change. Would like to give them Peer to Peer (P2P) training so that they can subdivide and work as something in between tutors and friends for welfare help. To this end, create a facebook page. Also, go to college to ask for money for P2P training, other colleges have funded this. Also, raise visibility of the tutoring system, especially specific roles eg. there is an LGBT- issues specific tutor. I'd like there to be more feedback on how tutors do.

AS: Why don't we add that to the mega Survey?

General agreement

NK: I'll mainly be doing the room ballot next term. Otherwise, I'd like there to be a covering over the bike shed in the village, I've measured it and it shouldn't be too difficult, but might need builders.

HG: This has been discussed; over Michaelmas Holiday (MH) more racks will be put at Cripps. The issue is where to attach the covering, but the college seems open to it. AMAL should be asked for money. It would have to go through Clerk of Works, who is notoriously slow.

NK: A further idea- add change machines at launderette that take coins so we don't need specific change, we could rent these as they can be expensive to buy. As well as this, benches outside Ramsey to sit on, obviously this is a Spring/ Summer idea.

HG: The benches were cleared by college, but never arrived, chase them up on this.

CJ: My main role immediately will be forming the access subcommittee- I'll talk to the old members to retain as many as possible, and get new people recruited too. I need to get volunteers for winter pool interviews in mid-January and there is a school visit on the 7th of January to arrange. We will host the quiz of the Shadowing Scheme again, but not sure about formals. It's happening over 3 separate sets of 2 days. I want to finish off the alternative prospectus to have it for ready for the March Open Day. In the future, I want to organise a minibuss trip to North Wales late next term.

CB: I'd like to ensure that we have frequent updates about what the JCR is doing. I'll make sure everyone has updated their profiles on the JCR website over the MH, and I want to open up the JCR facebook page a little more too, so that I can post certain things that people in college would like me to, as well as putting up Magdin/Magdout. I want to increase the engagement of societies with those newsletters, as well as ensuring that they are always promptly circulated. Keep the communication between members of JCR as quick and easy as possible.

AS: Opening up the JCR page is quite a bold step- might this need to be voted at an Open Meeting?

General agreement

BP: I've emailed everyone about forming a freshers' committee, with refreshers in mind, which is for the whole college.

AU: Feedback from last year's refreshers- too many events in too short a time, many got cancelled, poorly organised on whole

General Agreement

BP: I'll also try to include less alcohol-centric events, for both freshers' and refreshers' weeks.

EG: I shall be coordinating the Student Switch-Off campaign next term. Where can I put up posters?

AS: Most staircases/ gyp rooms have noticeboards.

Agreement that she should put up posters everywhere possible.

EG: I want to introduce a bring your own mug discount at Ramsay for hot drinks and improve options, including a vegan option every day as well as two veggie options. Also, ethically sourced food as far as possible.

HG: Keep up Ramsay forums, this could be discussed then, they are very helpful.

AU: I worry that ethically sourced food would raise prices- many people don't want that.

HG: College is losing money on subsidising Ramsey etc. already because so many people are cooking nowadays. Couldn't get further subsidies for ethically sourced food.

Agreement that before attempting to bring in ethically sourced food, there must be support in the mega Survey, due to the price rise it would cause.

AU: We run 7 halls, is this wasteful of the college's money?

HG: Yes

JA: More event halls would raise attendance and make them more profitable.

HG: We have some discipline problems in Hall already, so they don't want too many guests. On this point, they've sneakily lowered maximum guests down to 3 this term, when it should be 4, so chase this up. Also, question where Super Hall money goes as JCR pay for pre and post drinks.

HG and NK leave

JA: I've been sent Loic's (LD) and Margot's (MS) intentions for the year, will read them out.

MS: I'll be helping the selection of the charities that Magdalene raises money for, as well as trying to set up Charity formal and continuing the various charity events that we do.

CB: What about charity donation on the formal booking that there was in Easter term? It disappeared this term.

JA: I think it was simply forgotten, it should be possible to get it back on next term.

General consensus that this should happen

LD: I'm going to set up various mailing lists for the sub-committees that I represent so that the voting registers are clear, will talk to computer officer for this. I'll hold meetings to discuss goals that people have for the coming year. Personally, I'd like to have more social events for the groups I represent, especially some not centred around alcohol.

2) Angus briefs us on ongoing campaigns from the 2015 committee

AS: Having asked the outgoing committee, there are a few things. Nadia said that she will be entirely responsible for this term's stash order, even as it continues into next year. I'm passing my green campaigns (Switch Off, foodbank) onto EG, would like there to be good support from this from the committee. Generally, over this year I will be coordinating and enabling, everyone should keep me and JA informed. We'll be doing rotas for events, such as drinks at super halls, we'll try to organise these as quickly as possible, so please give as much notice of times you can't do as possible. I'd also like to increase participation in college 'democracy', as this is what I ran on.

JA: Make sure everyone is active on the FB group, like posts to show that you have seen and digested them.

CB: I'll put up minutes on the FB page before they are disseminated, check that there is no misrepresentation of views and edit if you want.

3) Budget and Expenditure forms Brief

NA: Describes the income and expenditure of last year's JCR, will put the budget up on the FB group for us to see in depth. Committee members should look and by the end of the holiday each member should send rough plans to NA of the year's expenditure. Emphasis that budget is just a guideline, but that it is good to have it fairly accurate.

BP: Is there money for refreshers?

NA: No, maybe a little, but unlikely

NA: If you spend money on anything tell NA. If it's alcohol, it has to go through James. You can buy whatever it is, but keep the receipt. Fill in the bits inside the square on the expenditure form and staple on the receipt, one form can do many items.

JA: Don't round money. Before spending, check with AS, JA, to check that you'll be reimbursed.

AU: How transparent will it be?

NA: Technically, any member of the JCR can see it, but difficulties with posting it on FB as this makes it too public. We could try requiring a Raven login, or emailing it.

General agreement

JA: We need to decide how much should be in reserve of JCR accounts, to see our maximum spend.

4) Vote on letting JA, AS and NA become signatories of the JCR Account.
8 in favour, 0 abstain, 0 oppose

6) Plan for AMAL bids over MH

JA: We should work out how much things cost, then go to college to ask for money first, then try AMAL, then draw from JCR funds.

NA: For big fixed, single time costs we should go to AMAL, this overlaps with college so it's worth trying both.

JA: When we put the bid in, we have to prioritise.

CJ: Most of access is funded by the college, can I get money from JCR/ AMAL?

NA: That doesn't seem to be typical, I'll talk to the previous treasurer about it

7) Discussion of JCR engagement proposed by AU

JA: We'll discuss this next meeting as it merits a lengthy discussion and we have little time now.

General agreement

8) Arrangements for mega Survey questions

JA: If there is anything specific to your department that you want questioned then tell us about it and we'll add it to the survey. Try to think about what you can gain from the question, so make it open-ended.

AU: How many did it last year?

JA: 170

AS: We want a twin focus for this year: visibility of current facilities, like welfare options, then areas of improvement of the college. Send as many questions as possible to me, with JA cc'ed, within and we'll sort them.

CB: How do we get more people involved? Should it be shorter?

AS+JA: We still want it to be comprehensive, so unlikely to be made shorter, it will be put out on emails and FB.

9) Arrangements for Bop

JA: I have a rota, don't be late for your shift.

EG: How long does cleanup take?

AS: About 30 minutes

JA: Thanks for coming to the meeting everyone, it was productive. Remember over the holiday to consider how much funding you need and questions you might want on the mega Survey.